Boost in rail connectivity in capital region of Andhra Pradesh – Commissioning of Double line & Electrification between Guntur and Tenali
The Guntur-Tenali Railway line, a critical component of the rail link serving the three important cities viz., Guntur, Vijayawada & Tenali which are located in the capital city region of Andhra Pradesh state. This line serves as an important and short route connecting both Telugu states with Southern states viz., Tamil Nadu and Kerala. This fast developing belt has seen a huge increase in rail traffic in the recent years due to diversion of several long distance trains running between Vijayawada and Tenali and the gradual increase of train services in the Nadikudi-Guntur-Tenali-Vijayawada route. Added to this, the freight traffic from Guntur side towards Chennai and down South has increased enormously leading to saturation of section capacity. Currently, trains are running in this section at 125 % of the section capacity. In order to cope up with the further increase in rail traffic on the Guntur-Tenali route, Doubling & Electrification of railway track between Guntur-Tenali is taken up.
The Doubling & electrification project is executed by Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL) and has been successfully completed within the targeted time. Double line of the section is commissioned today i.e., 26th April, 2019 with running of 57652 Repalle – Secunderabad Passenger on newly constructed Double Line.
Highlights & Benefits of Guntur-Tenali Doubling and Electrification Project
1. Project Brief
- The project is sanctioned in 2011-12 for a distance of 25.47 Kms.
- Detailed estimate of the project is sanctioned at the cost of Rs 147 crores.
- Total stations covered: Tenali Jn, Angalakuduru (Halt), Sangamjagarlamudi, Vejendla, Manipuram Cabin (special class) and Guntur Jn.
2. Infrastructure Facilities
- As a part of doubling between Guntur and Tenali, yard modifications have been done at Guntur, Sangamjagarlamudi, Vejendla and Tenali stations.
- New station buildings have been constructed at Vejendla & Sangamjagarlamudi stations.
3. Safety Enhancement
- The modern state of the art signalling system provided will strengthen safety of the trains running in the section.
- Construction of Road over Bridges & Road under Bridges in place of Level Crossing gates and Interlocking of existing Level Crossing gates will enhance the safety of road users.
- 2 major bridges and 39 minor bridges are constructed in this section.
- one Existing Road under Bridge is extended for the new Double Line.
- Sangamjagarlamudi, Vejendla and Manipuram Cabin stations are provided with new Electronic Interlocking System with dual Visual Display Unit (VDU).
- 12 Nos. of Existing Manned Level Crossings have been extended for the new Double Line.
4. Provision of Passenger Amenities
- Foot over Bridges are constructed at Vejendla & Sangamjagarlamudi stations
- New High Level Platforms have been constructed at Angalakuduru, Vejendla and Sangamjagarlamudi stations.
- To improve the passenger convenience, amenities like – Water taps, Toilets, Cover over Platforms, RCC Benches, Indication Boards, etc. have been provided at all the stations
- The elevation and Facade of the new station buildings constructed in the section will improve the aesthetics. The paintings provided to the station walls depicting the local art will enhance the grandeur of the station building.
- At present, Guntur – Tenali single line section is saturated with 125% of its capacity.
- This new double railway line will offer a huge boon to the local populous of the three cities of Vijayawada-Guntur-Tenali which come under one urban conglomeration, to travel short distance on local commuter services.
- It will substantially enhance the potential for running more number of passenger carrying and freight trains between Guntur-Tenali there by leading to the possibility of handling more rail services from Hyderabad/Nadikudi side towards Chennai and South direction.
- With the fast developing Amaravathi Capital area of Andhra Pradesh in the vicinity, the doubling and electrification of Guntur-Tenali section will enable provide enhanced rail connectivity to the area by introducing intercity suburban services.
- The enhanced connectivity will add strength to revenue generation of railways in terms of harnessing the potential of mineral rich Palnadu Region to transport its produce/goods to any part of the country.
- Electrification of this section ensures seamless connectivity of the rail network from North to South and Vice-Versa.
- It helps in reducing fuel expenses incurred by the organisation.
- Avoids change of traction and thus saves running time of the trains.
- It helps in reducing Carbon imprints contributing to greener environment.
Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, South Central Railway congratulated the entire team involved in completion of this prestigious project in record time. Speaking on this Occasion, he opined that commissioning of new line will give impetus to the rail services on the zone in general and the capital city region of AP state in particular.