INDIAN RAILWAY MAKING SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT FOR KUMBH MELA 2019
Discontinuation of Mela Surcharge & Facilities at Stations for Kumbh Mela
During major melas where railways have to provide certain facilities like opening of additional booking counters, erection of pilgrim sheds, running of mela specials etc. Mela surcharge was levied in view of the additional expenditure incurred by the railways in providing these facilities. However, this system of levy Mela Surcharge has been discontinued. Further, no pending amount shall be collected for the tickets already booked in advance.
The additional facilities being provided for Kumbh Mela Stations are as under:
1. Establishing extra infrastructure like direction-wise enclosures with additional UTS/PRS counters, also at Sangam area.
2. Additional staff from other divisions of Indian Railways for guidance and facilitating safe departure of devotees.
3. Running of special train-route wise.
4. Signages and enquiry counters at all mela locations including Sangam areas.
5. Announcement through mega mike for right direction, train timings and other important information.
6. Visual display system at all important locations for passenger guidance and convenience.
7. Additional deployment of security staff i.e. RPF, RPSF, GRP and Commercial Staff.
8. Special facilities for drinking water, toilet, catering etc.
9. CCTV arrangement for close monitoring of passenger movement, security etc.
10. Provision of 24×7 Control tower jointly manned by Railways and Civil authorities with hot line facilities at the stations and other strategic locations.
This information was given by the Minister of State of Railways, Shri Rajen Gohain in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.