Benefits of Ladies Quota in Railway Reservation
Ladies Quota in Indian Railway | Ladies quota in Indian Railways Rules | Ladies quota in Train Sleeper Class | Age for Ladies Quota in Railway Reservation
- A reservation quota of six berths in sleeper class in long distance Mail / Express trains and a reservation quota of six berths in 3AC class of Garib Rath / Rajdhani / Duronto / fully air- conditioned Express trains for female passengers irrespective of their age travelling alone or in a group of female passengers.
- combined reservation quota of six to seven lower berths per coach in Sleeper class, four to five lower berths per coach each in Air Conditioned 3 tier (3AC) and three to four lower berths per coach in Air Conditioned 2 tier (2AC) classes (depending on the number of coaches of that class in the train) has been earmarked for senior citizens, female passengers 45 years of age and above and pregnant women.
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
QUESTION NO 768
ANSWERED ON 03.12.2021
Women Coaches in Trains
768 Smt. Kanta Kardam
Will the Minister of RAILWAYS be pleased to state :-
(a) Whether the number of women coaches in various trains running on important routes in the country are less in number and if so, the reasons therefor;
(b) Whether Government proposes to increase the number of women coaches to ensure adequate security of women passengers in the trains and if so, the details thereof; and
(c) The other steps taken / being taken by Government for safe and convenient journey of women passengers?
ANSWER: MINISTER OF RAILWAYS, COMMUNICATIONS AND ELECTRONICS & INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (SHRI ASHWINI VAISHNAW)
(a) to (c): A Statement is laid on the Table of the House
STATEMENT REFERRED TO IN REPLY TO PARTS (a) TO (c) OF UNSTARRED QUESTION NO. 768 BY SMT. KANTA KARDAM ANSWERED IN RAJYA SABHA ON 03.12.2021 REGARDING WOMEN COACHES IN TRAINS
(a) & (b): Section 58 of the Railways Act, 1989 provides for earmarking of accommodation for female passengers in trains. Accordingly, in trains carrying passengers, Indian Railways have earmarked following accommodation for female passengers:
i. A reservation quota of six berths in sleeper class in long distance Mail / Express trains and a reservation quota of six berths in 3AC class of Garib Rath / Rajdhani / Duronto / fully air- conditioned Express trains for female passengers irrespective of their age travelling alone or in a group of female passengers.
ii. A combined reservation quota of six to seven lower berths per coach in Sleeper class, four to five lower berths per coach each in Air Conditioned 3 tier (3AC) and three to four lower berths per coach in Air Conditioned 2 tier (2AC) classes (depending on the number of coaches of that class in the train) has been earmarked for senior citizens, female passengers 45 years of age and above and pregnant women.
iii. Exclusive unreserved coaches / compartments for female passengers in EMU (Electrical Multiple Unit) / DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) / MMTS (Multi Modal Transport System) trains & local passenger trains depending upon demand pattern as well as availability of accommodation.
iv. Running of ladies special EMU / MEMU / MMTS services on the suburban sections of Mumbai, Kolkata, Secunderabad and Chennai as well as on the Delhi-National Capital Region (NCR) sections.
Earmarking of accommodation for female passengers in trains, its review based on demand pattern and provision of other facilities for their safe and comfortable journey is a continuous and ongoing exercise.
(c): ‘Police’ and ‘Public Order’ are State subjects under the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India and, as such, State Governments are responsible for prevention, detection, registration and investigation of crime and maintaining law and order etc. on Railways through their law enforcement agencies viz. Government Railway Police (GRP) / District Police. However, Railway Protection Force (RPF) supplements the efforts of GRP / District Police to provide better protection and security of passenger area and passengers and for matters connected therewith.
Further, the following steps are also being taken by the Railways in coordination with GRP for safety and security of passengers including women passengers in trains and at stations: –
- A Pan-India initiative “Meri Saheli” was launched by RPF on 17.10.2020 with the objective to provide enhanced safety and security to lady passengers travelling by trains for their entire journey i.e. from the originating station to destination station. The focus is to provide the security to lady passengers especially those travelling alone and to instill a sense of security in them. Teams of lady officers and staff have been formed who are well trained and briefed about the objective.
- On vulnerable and identified routes / sections, trains are escorted by Railway Protection Force in addition to trains escorted by Government Railway Police of different States daily.
- Railway Help Line number 139 is operational (24×7) over Indian Railways for security related assistance to passengers in distress.
- Through various social media platforms viz. twitter, facebook etc., Railways are in regular touch with passengers including women to enhance security of passengers and to address their security concern.
- Frequent announcements are made through Public Address System to educate passengers to take precautions against theft, snatching, drugging etc.
- Ladies Special trains running in Metropolitan cities are being escorted by lady RPF personnel. In other trains, where escorts are provided, the train escorting parties have been briefed to keep extra vigil on the lady passengers travelling alone, ladies coaches en-route and at halting stations.
- An Integrated Security System (ISS) consisting of surveillance of vulnerable stations through Close Circuit Television Camera Network, Access Control etc. has been provided to improve surveillance mechanism over 189 railway stations.
- Drives are conducted against entry of male passengers into the compartments reserved for ladies.
- CCTV cameras have been provided in 4934 coaches and 838 Railway stations for enhancing security of passengers.
- Emergency Talk Back System and Closed-Circuit Television Surveillance Cameras have been provided in ladies compartments / coaches of all newly manufactured Electrical Multiple Unit (EMU) and Air-conditioned rakes of Kolkata Metro. Flasher lights have also been provided in ladies coaches in EMU rakes in some zonal Railways.